ISLAMABAD, August 30, 2013: Lawmakers debated the wheat price proposal amid low attendance in the fourteenth sitting of the fourth session of the Punjab Assembly on Friday.
Only 24 MPAs (6.8%) were present at the start, 49 (13.8%) at the end and a maximum of 77 (21.7%) were present at one point in the sitting.
The wheat support price was discussed for 45 minutes, with four PML-N MPAs and two PTI MPAs speaking on the issue.
In the question answer session, 11 out of the 12 starred questions (requiring oral answers) about the transport department were raised. A representative of the minister answered the questions.
The Speaker presided over the entire sitting. The Chief Minister did not attend the proceedings, while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 35 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for two hours and 14 minutes.
- The sitting started an hour and 16 minutes late at 1016 hours, instead of the scheduled 0900 hours.
- There were 24 MPAs (6.8%) present at the start, 49 (13.8%) at the end and a maximum of 77 (21.7%) at one point in the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire proceedings while Deputy Speaker did not attend the sitting.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting, while the Leader of Opposition attended the sitting for 35 minutes.
- The Parliamentary Leaders of JI and PPPP attended the sitting.
- No MPA applied for leave.
- Two minority Members attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Out of 12 starred questions about the transportation department appearing on the agenda, 11 were taken up in the House. A representative of the Minister answered the questions. Moreover, 36 supplementary questions were asked for further clarification.
- Four PMLN and 2 PTI MPAs debated the wheat support price proposal for 45 minutes. The PMLN legislators discussed the issue for 26 minutes and the PTI MPAs for 19 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Legislators spoke for one minute on two Points of Order.
- There were no incidents of protests/walkouts/boycotts.
- Orders of the Day were available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on legislators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2021: The Punjab Assembly did not transact its regular business on Thursday as the Speaker adjourned the sitting over non-inclusion of a…
ISLAMABAD, February 23, 2021: The Punjab Assembly consumed major part of the proceedings on points of order and did not observe question hour on Tuesday,…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, February 2, 2021: The Punjab Assembly deferred most of its agenda on Tuesday including five adjournment motions and two resolutions due to…