ISLAMABAD, June 20, 2014: Starting two hours and 23 minutes behind schedule, the Punjab Assembly rejected the cut motion on police department jointly moved by the opposition parties, during 6th sitting of the ongoing 9th budget session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation.
As many as ten members– PTI (5), PML (3), PPPP and PML-N (one each) – took part in the debate. The Chair reminded the lawmakers that it had been decided among the treasury and opposition members that 45 Demands for Grants and six cut motions would be brought before the House.
An adjournment motion sponsored by two PML-N lawmakers regarding their reservations over educational program in Government Murray College Sialkot was brought before the House which was responded to by the relevant department.
Following are some key observations of the proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1123 hours against the scheduled time of 0900 hours, witnessing a delay of two hours and 23 minutes.
- One hundred and thirty two (132) members were present at the start, 165 at the adjournment while a maximum 268 at one point during the sitting.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was also present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was there for an hour and seven minutes.
- The parliamentary leader of PML-Z and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Five minority members were present.
- None of the members applied for leave.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House rejected the only cut motion moved by the opposition parties with majority vote. As many as 10 members – PTI (5), PML (3) and one each of PPPP and PML-N- took part in the debate that continued for 54 minutes.
- The Provincial Law Minister responded to the concerns of the opposition parties.
- An adjournment motion sponsored by two PML-N lawmakers regarding their reservations over educational program in Government Murray College Sialkot was brought before the House which was responded to by the relevant department.
Order and Institutionalization
- The only point of order consumed one minute of the proceedings.
- The opposition lawmakers protested within the House over rejecting the cut motion moved by them.
- ‘Orders of the day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
To download this document, click here
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization, a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, January 24, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab, on Friday, continued discussing the issues concerning Indian atrocities in Kashmir, inflation and security situation in the…
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab discussed the issues concerning Indian atrocities in Kashmir, inflation and security situation in the country, observes…
ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of the agenda unaddressed during Private Members’ day, observes Free and Fair Election Network…