ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2017: The sixth sitting of ongoing session of the Punjab Assembly was adjourned due to the presence of less than twenty-five percent lawmakers in the House on Monday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during sixth sitting of the 32nd session:
- The Punjab Assembly met for an hour and 26 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1530 hours against the scheduled time 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Speaker was not present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for 19 minutes.
- As many as 10 MPAs (3%) were present at outset and 50 (13%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers were present.
- The Chairman of the Special Committee No. 9 presented committee’s report in the House.
- The House did not take up the Punjab Medical Supplies Authority Bill, 2017.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as 11 out of 19 Starred Questions were taken up for answers during the proceedings while five questions were disposed of due to absence of concerned lawmakers and three questions were not taken up. The lawmakers also asked 16 supplementary questions.
- A Call Attention Notice appearing on agenda was disposed of due to absence of the mover.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers raised eight Points of Order consuming 17 minutes of the proceedings.
- A lawmaker belonging to PTI pointed out quorum at 1651 hours. The head count was made and bells were rung for five minutes. The quorum was found incomplete which led to adjournment of the sitting at 1656 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Information on Members’ attendance is available on Punjab Assembly’s website.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, January 24, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab, on Friday, continued discussing the issues concerning Indian atrocities in Kashmir, inflation and security situation in the…
ISLAMABAD, January 23, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab discussed the issues concerning Indian atrocities in Kashmir, inflation and security situation in the country, observes…
ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of the agenda unaddressed during Private Members’ day, observes Free and Fair Election Network…