ISLAMABAD, August 16, 2013: The fourth sitting of the Punjab Assembly’s fourth session on Friday was marked by low attendance of members. Only 21 members were present at the start and 65 were there when the sitting was adjourned.
After the Question Hour, the House put off discussion on the report of the Punjab Pension Fund for the year 2010 as it was not made available to the members. Out of the seven questions on the agenda, four were taken up. Additionally the members asked 11 supplementary questions.
Four adjournment motions by the PML-N and PTI members were moved during the sitting including lack of flood-related viral diseases’ vaccination in Punjab and flood in five union councils of Mianwali. Two motions were on the Tehsil Municipal Administration’s action against vendors in Toba Tek Singh.
The Speaker chaired the one hour and 15 minutes sitting. The Chief Minister and Leader of Opposition did not attend the proceedings.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for one hour and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1020 hours witnessing a delay of one hour and 15 minutes against the scheduled start time of 0900 hours.
- Twenty one members were present at the outset of the sitting and 65 at the end. At one time, a maximum of 70 members were present in the House.
- The Speaker chaired the entire sitting while Deputy Speaker did not attend the proceedings.
- The Chief Minister and the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary Leader of JI attended the sitting.
- None of the Members applied for leave.
- Two minority Members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Out of the seven starred questions on the agenda, four were taken up on the floor of the House. Additionally, 11 supplementary questions were asked.
- Four Adjournment Motions consuming 12 minutes were moved either individually or jointly. Three PTI Members jointly tabled an Adjournment motion on lack of flood-related viral disease vaccinations in Punjab. Two PML-N members separately moved two resolutions on the action against vendors by Tehsil Municipal Administration, Toba Tek Singh. A PTI Member tabled an adjournment motion on the situation of flood victims in Mianwali and adjacent areas.
- A general discussion on the agenda on the report of the Punjab Pension Fund for the Year 2010 was postponed after a PTI member pointed out the non-availability of report to lawmakers.
Order and Institutionalization
- MPAs spoke on seven points of order for 11 minutes.
- No instances of protests/boycott/walkouts were observed.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on members’ attendance was not available to the observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the National Assembly proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI); a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of the agenda unaddressed during Private Members’ day, observes Free and Fair Election Network…
ISLAMABAD, December 30, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab took up entire agenda appearing on Orders of the Day on Monday and unanimously passed the…
ISLAMABAD, December 27, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab held a discussion on the Annual Report of the Punjab Public Service Commission for the Year…