ISLAMABAD, February 22, 2016: The Punjab Assembly witnessed protest by Opposition and suspension of the proceeding due to lack of quorum on Monday during 17th sitting of its 19th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are some key observations of the House proceeding:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Punjab Assembly met for three hours and 24 minutes while taking a prayer break for 31 minutes. The proceeding also remained suspended for 14 minutes due to lack of quorum.
- The sitting started at 1530 hours against the scheduled time 1400 hours.
- The Speaker presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy was also present.
- The Chief Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for 97 minutes.
- 16 MPAs (4%) were present at outset and 18 (5%) at adjournment of the sitting.
- None of the parliamentary leaders attended the sitting.
- Six minority members were present.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The government orally replied to seven out of 10 starred questions appearing on agenda while one question was disposed of due to absence of relevant lawmaker. The lawmakers also asked 23 supplementary questions.
- The government responded to a Calling Attention Notice sponsored by PTI lawmaker.
- The Provincial Law Minister concluded the general discussion on Orange Line project. He spoke for ten minutes.
- The Provincial Irrigation Minister started the general discussion on irrigation. He also spoke for ten minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House referred a privilege motion submitted by PPPP lawmaker to the relevant standing committee.
- The Opposition lawmakers protested on floor of the House for 14 minutes when the Chair disallowed an adjournment motion sponsored by the Opposition Leader. Later, entire Opposition staged a walkout for 15 minutes.
- A PTI lawmaker pointed out lacking quorum at 1708 hours; however it was completed after the bells were rung for five minutes.
- Another PTI lawmaker pointed out quorum again at 1832 hours that led to the suspension of the proceeding for 14 minutes. However, the quorum was found missing on resumption of the proceeding at 1853 hours; so the House was adjourned to meet again on Tuesday.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
To download Urdu factsheet, click here
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted.
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, August 13, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab left most of its agenda unaddressed on Friday due to confrontation between treasury and…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2021: The Punjab Assembly deferred six private members’ resolutions and three legislative proposals on Thursday, observes Fee and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…