ISLAMABAD, February 28, 2020: The Senate clubbed six motions to discuss political issues, situation in Occupied Kashmir, energy shortfall, price hike, crime against children and matters related to parliamentary affairs, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Friday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of the first sitting of 296th session requisitioned by the opposition lawmakers:
- The Senate met for two hours and 18 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of JI, MQM, PPPP, PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- Eighteen members (17% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 20 (19%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held discussion on six clubbed Motions under Rule 218 regarding political issues, situation in Occupied Kashmir, energy and natural resources, price hike, crime against children and matters related to parliamentary affairs. Nine lawmakers spoke on it for an hour and 57 minutes.
- The Leader of the House tabled the statement about the government strategy to avoid the spread of Corona virus in Pakistan and measures being taken in wake of this epidemic.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PPPP lawmakers spoke on a point of order for three minutes which was responded to Minister for Parliamentary Affaris. .
- The House was adjourned to meet again on March 2, 2020 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) discussed state of the education in the Province and witnessed introduction of a…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…