ISLAMABAD, July 20, 2018: The Senate held discussion on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding prevailing law and order and political situation in the country on Friday, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of first sitting of 280th session requisitioned by the treasury lawmakers:
- The Senate met for three hours and ten minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1430 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and four minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP and MQM attended the sitting.
- Twelve members (11% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and seven (6%) at the end of sitting.
- None of the minority lawmaker attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held discussion on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding prevailing law and order and political situation in country. As many as 16 lawmakers participated in the discussion consuming two hours and 50 minutes while Minister for Interior spoke for seven minutes about measures to maintain law and order.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers did not raise any point of order.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on July 21, 2018 (Saturday) at 1000 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
TDEA-FAFEN Releases Women Parliamentarians Performance Report on the Eve of International Women’s Day ISLAMABAD, March 7, 2020: Women parliamentarians continued to be proactive and assertive…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, March 4, 2020: The Senate passed the Zainab Alert, Response and Recovery Bill, 2020 and referred two other government bills to the…