ISLAMABAD, October 11, 2019: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab’s 15th session was prorogued on Friday without taking up scheduled discussions on Kashmir issue, inflation and security situation, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during single-sitting 15th session:
- The House met for an hour and 30 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1120 hours against the scheduled time of 0930 hours.
- The Deputy Speaker presided over the entire sitting in the absence of Speaker.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 40 MPAs (11%) were present at the outset and 110 (30%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Among the parliamentary leaders, only PPPP’s leader attended the proceedings.
- As many as five out of eight minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House witnessed presentation of reports by Standing Committees on Higher Education, School Education, Home and Specialized Health Care and Medical Education.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two out of 23 questions related to Food Department while the lawmakers asked eight supplementary questions as well.
- The House did not held discussion on Kashmir issue, price control and law and order.
- A PML-N lawmaker participated in general debate on health services and dengue control for 20 minutes while Minister for Specialized Healthcare & Medical Education spoke on it for 10 minutes.
- An adjournment motion of a PTI lawmaker was referred to the Special Committee which was regarding appointment of officers from Pakistan Administrative Service/District Management Group.
Order and Institutionalization
- Fifteen lawmakers spoke on points of order for 21 minutes.
- The session was prorogued sine die.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ and attendance of the lawmakers is available on the website of the Provincial Assembly of Punjab.
The daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Punjab Assembly proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The 9th session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued on Friday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the demise of Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal Pakistan (MMAP) lawmaker…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The Senate took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn violation of human rights in…