ISLAMABAD, July 24, 2020: The Senate addressed the entire agenda on Friday and discussed the decision of the European Union Aviation Safety Agency to suspend the operation of PIA flights to their respective countries, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the sixth sitting of the 300th session:
- The Senate met for four hours and 47 minutes. However, the proceedings remained suspended for 37 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire proceedings in the absence of Chairman.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 49 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 15 lawmakers (14%) were present at the outset and 22 (21%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PkMAP and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers were present.
- The House adopted a supplementary resolution paying tributes to the sacrifices of Kashmiri leader Asiya Abrabi and condemned Indian government for detaining her at isolation ward of Tihar jail in Delhi.
- The House passed three motions under Rule 194 (1) granting 60-day extension to Standing Committees on Petroleum and Defence for presentation of reports on matters referred to them. These matters were about the shortage of gas in the country, distribution of natural gas amongst the provinces and the appointment of Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up seven out of 27 starred questions while lawmakers also asked 14 supplementary questions.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding 10 percent increase in prices of medicines.
- The Minister for Aviation responded to another CAN regarding the decision of the European Union Aviation Safety Agency to suspend the operation of PIA flights to their respective countries.
- Seven lawmakers spoke on points of public importance for 38 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- Six lawmakers including the Leader of the House spoke on points of order for 12 minutes.
- The Chair referred a privilege motion of an Independent lawmaker against officials of Ministry of National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination to the concerned committee.
- PPPP and PML-N lawmakers withdrew their privilege motion against the against officials of Ministry of Aviation. Three lawmakers and Minister for Aviation spoke about its admissibility for 20 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on July 27, 2020 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab was adjourned on Friday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly transacted entire agenda and referred two bills to the relevant committee for deliberation, observes Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network…