ISLAMABAD, November 24, 2016: The Senate transacted most of the agenda on Thursday and adopted the proposed amendments in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business during 5th sitting of its 255th session, reports Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings:
- The Senate met for four hours and eight minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The House had a prayer break of 21 minutes.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and 32 minutes while the rest of the proceedings was chaired by a member of Panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 50 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 25 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, PML-N, PkMAP and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Fourteen members (13% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 15 (14%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers also attended the proceedings.
- The House adopted the proposed amendments in rule 172 and insertion of new rule 226A in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012.
- Minister for Law and Justice presented the Annual Report for the year 2015-2016 of the Central Board of Directors of the State Bank of Pakistan on the state of the Economy along-with the Statistical Supplement.
- Chairman Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research presented 10th Follow-up Report of the Committee on the proposed conversion of 1400 acres of National Agricultural Research Centre/Pakistan Agricultural Research Council land by the Capital Development Authority (CDA) into residential/commercial plots.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Interior and Narcotics Control presented report on the Criminal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) on soaring circular debt of power sector as reported in a section of the press. Another CAN regarding cancellation of visas of Turkish teachers and staff of Pak-Turk schools was deferred.
- The House passed three motions under Rule 194 (1) to extend the presentation period of as many reports of various Standing Committees.
- The House took 11 out of 32 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda. In addition, the lawmakers also asked 20 Supplementary Questions.
- The Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion (AM) for debate regarding terrorist attack on the shrine of Syed Sakhi Shah Bilawal Noorani situated in far flung area of district Khuzdar, Balochistan. Eight lawmakers, including State Minister for Interior, spoke for an hour and 18 minutes.
- Two more AMs were rejected by the Chair for being in contravention with the rules.
Order and Institutionalization
- One Point of Public Importance was discussed for one minute.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the Senate website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network…
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2021: The Senate passed three government bills on Friday which were considered in the House as supplementary business amid protest…
ISLAMABAD, July 14, 2021: The Senate took up 83 percent of its agenda on Wednesday and consumed 42 percent of the proceedings in points of…