ISLAMABAD, October 1, 2018: The Senate on Monday adopted 27 recommendations on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 as reported by the Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings of 7th sitting of 282nd session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 56 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 16 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for three hours and 23 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for three hours and 11 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PTI, PPPP, JUI-F, NP and BNP-M were present.
- Nine members (8% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 14 (13%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Finance, a member of the Committee presented report on the proposals for making recommendations on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
- The House adopted 27 recommendations on the Supplementary Finance Bill, 2018.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Eighteen Senators took part in the debate on the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 consuming two hours and 43 minutes of the proceedings.
- The House passed a motion under Rule 194 (1) to grant 60-day extension to Standing Committee on Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony for presentation of report regarding utilization of Zakat funds for education and health sectors.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs responded to two matters of public importance regarding non-payment of salaries and pension to the personnel of Levies and Khasadar Force and posting of junior officers against key positions including Secretary to the Prime Minister. Four lawmakers also spoke on the latter matter of public importance for 12 minutes.
- Ministerial responses on two matters were deferred on the requests of relevant movers and one following the request of Minister.
Order and Institutionalization
- Four lawmakers raised seven points of order consuming 12 minutes of the proceedings.
- A PPPP lawmaker walked out of the House at 1851 hours against the absence of Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs during the budget speeches. He did not return to the House till adjournment of sitting at 1856 hours.
- The Opposition Lawmakers also walked out of the House for three minutes against absence of Minister for Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs during debate on Supplementary Finance Bill.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on October 3, 2018 (Wednesday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The Senate on Thursday discussed the recent bomb attack on a religious school in Peshawar while leaving half of…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The Senate passed three private members’ bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to condemn comments of French President Emmanuel Macron…
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings in points of public…