ISLAMABAD, February 29, 2016: The Senate adopted two resolutions and discussed Prime Minister’s Health Program as well as privatization of PTCL during first sitting of its 126th session on Monday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for three hours and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at its scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House and the Opposition Leader attended the entire sitting.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Ten (9%) senators were present at the start and 32 (31%) at the time of adjournment.
- Parliamentary leaders of MQM, BNP-M, PkMAP, JUI-F, PPPP, PML-F, NP and PTI were present.
- Two minority members were present.
- The House adopted two resolutions to condole death of former Senator Nisar Muhammad Khan and announcement of special package for economic and educational development in FATA.
- Two resolutions about increase in the profit rates on National Saving Schemes and enhancing quota reserved for Balochistan in appointments at OGDCL were deferred due to absence of movers.
- Another resolution about conversion of tube wells in Balochistan from electricity to solar energy was dropped due to absence of mover.
- Minister for Climate Change opposed a resolution tabled by PPPP female lawmaker about representation of Sindh, Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and FATA in the Board of Functional Members and Governing Council of Pakistan Bureau of Statistics. The Chair referred it to the Standing Committee on Finance after discussion by the lawmakers with special direction to submit report on it within one month.
- PPPP lawmaker introduced the Prohibition of Corporal Punishment Bill, 2016 which was referred to the relevant committee for further deliberations.
- The House witnessed the presentation of four reports of the standing committees on legislative proposals including the Patents (Amendment) Bill, 2016; the Pakistan Health Research Council Bill, 2015; the Futures Market Bill, 2015 and the Civil Servants (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
- Two other reports regarding delay of Karachi-Lahore bounded PIA flight No. PK-302 for two hours on July 17, 2013 and issue of coverage of the proceedings of the House by the PTV were also presented.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed three motions under Rule 218 about the Prime Minister’s Health Program, privatization of PTCL with particular reference to delay in payment of $ 800 million to the Government and role as well as responsibility of the Government with regard to religious tolerance, unity and harmony.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three minutes were consumed on discussion on a Points of Public Importance.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, October 20, 2020: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Tuesday amid lack of quorum and opposition’s walkout from the proceedings, observes Free and Fair…
ISLAMABAD, October 19, 2020: The Senate left its entire agenda unaddressed on Private Members’ Day and consumed major portion of the proceedings in debate on political…
ISLAMABAD, October 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed political situation in the country through points of public importance, observes Free…