ISLAMABAD, January 30, 2015: Starting one hour and five minutes behind the schedule, the first sitting of the Senate’s 110th session left all agenda items except the questions unaddressed on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The quorum was pointed out by an ANP Senator Zahid Khan following which the sitting was suspended for 30 minutes.
Leaders of the House and Opposition were present for the entire sitting. Parliamentary leaders of ANP, PkMAP and JUI-F also attended the sitting while the Chairman, Prime Minister and all minority members did not show up in the sitting. Deputy Chairman presided over the complete sitting.
The sitting that started at 1105 hours and was adjourned at 1240 hours, had 43 legislators present at the outset and 45 members present at the time of adjournment.
The House did not take up three standing committee reports, two bills, one ordinance and a motion of thanks that appeared on the agenda. There were no points of order during the sitting.
A resolution expressing sorrow and grief over the demise of the Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz was unanimously passed by the House.
The opposition parties except JUI-F and MQM staged a token walkout from the House to protest the absence of Interior Minister and the Minister of State for interior.
The members raised 41 starred questions, of which only six questions were taken up. Sixteen supplementary questions were also raised by the lawmakers.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for one hour and 35 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1105 hours against the scheduled time of 1000 hours, witnessing a delay of one hour and five minutes.
- The Chairman did not attend the sitting. The entire sitting was chaired by the Deputy Chairman.
- Leaders of the House Opposition attended the complete sitting.
- Forty-three members (41%) were present at the start and 45 (43%) at the time of the sitting’s adjournment. A maximum of 45 senators (43%) were observed to be present at one point of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JUI-F and ANP attended the sitting.
- None of the minority members were present.
- Eight members applied for leave.
- The House did not take up three committee reports, two bills to be introduced and one ordinance to be laid.
- A resolution to show grief and sorrow over the demise of Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz was approved unanimously by the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Only six out of 41 starred questions were taken up. Additionally, 16 supplementary questions were also raised by the lawmakers.
Order and Institutionalization
- No points of order were raised during the sitting.
- Opposition parties except JUI and MQM staged a token walkout to protest ministerial absence.
- Quorum was pointed out by ANP lawmaker causing suspension of sitting for 30 minutes.
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization – a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions are regretted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2021: The Senate passed three government bills on Friday which were considered in the House as supplementary business amid protest…
ISLAMABAD, July 14, 2021: The Senate took up 83 percent of its agenda on Wednesday and consumed 42 percent of the proceedings in points of…
ISLAMABAD, July 13, 2021: The Senate transacted 90 percent of its agenda on Tuesday and referred a government bill to the relevant committee, observes Free…