- Session Prorogued
ISLAMABAD, June 16, 2014: The Senate unanimously approved over hundred recommendations on the Finance Bill 2014 during 9th and last sitting of its 105th session on Monday, reports the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet based on direct observation of the proceedings.
Through supplementary agenda, Chairperson of Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization raised the motion citing recommendations on the Finance Bill 2014 be adopted. The House took up the motion and approved majority of the recommendations unanimously.
The National Assembly will consider the 133 recommendations made by Senate on the Finance Bill 2014 out of which 129 recommendations were passed unanimously.
The Chairman chaired the entire sitting. Seven Senators were present at the outset and maximum 39 were there at the end of the sitting.
The Prime Minister attended the sitting for some time and briefed the Upper House on the military operation “Zarb-e-Azab” launched against militants in North Waziristan. Seven PPPP lawmakers participated in the debate on the operation followed by five lawmakers of ANP, PML-N (3) and one each of MQM, NP, BNP-A and PML.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and 39 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1631 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours with a delay of 31 minutes.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- Seven senators were present at the outset and maximum 39 were there at the end of the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and seven minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PkMAP, PPPP and NP attended the sitting.
- Three minority members attended the sitting.
- Five members applied for leave.
- Through supplementary agenda, Chairperson of Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization raised the motion citing recommendations on the Finance Bill 2014 be adopted. The House took up the motion and approved majority of the recommendations unanimously.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Seven PPPP lawmakers participated in the debate on “Zarb-e-Azab” operation followed by five lawmakers of ANP, PML-N (3) and one each of MQM, NP, BNP-A and PML.
Order and Institutionalization
- No instance of protest, walkout or boycott was witnessed during the sitting
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and others.
- Information on senators’ attendance was not available to the observers and the
To download the document, click here
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of FAFEN and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union. This Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by PATTAN Development Organization; a member organization of FAFEN. Errors and omissions excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The Senate on Thursday discussed the recent bomb attack on a religious school in Peshawar while leaving half of…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The Senate passed three private members’ bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to condemn comments of French President Emmanuel Macron…
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings in points of public…