ISLAMABAD, October 25, 2017: Minister for Foreign Affairs, on Wednesday, briefed the Senate about Pak-US relations and the issues discussed with the US Secretary of State during his recent visit to Pakistan, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during third sitting of the 269th session:
- The Senate met for four hours and 27 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 33 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 16 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition remained present for an hour.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML, PPPP, PML-F, PkMAP, ANP, JUI-F, PTI, JI, MQM, NP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- As many as 13 (12% of the total membership – 104) lawmakers were present at the start and 12 (11%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- Three minority legislators also attended the proceedings.
- Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training introduced the Apprenticeship Bill, 2017 which was referred to the relevant committee for further deliberations.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Minister for Foreign Affairs gave policy statement on Pak-US relations and the issues discussed with the US Secretary of State during his recent visit to Pakistan. His speech took 44 minutes of the proceedings.
- The Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion for discussion on the impact of water scarcity and water-borne diseases in the country.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding insufficient medical facilities for the inhabitants of Islamabad. It was responded to by the Minister for Capital Administration and Development Division (CADD).
- The Chair deferred a CAN related to the re-negotiation of contract price of LNG fixed between Pakistan State Oil (PSO) and Qatar Gas on February 10, 2016.
- The House discussed an Adjournment Motion (AM) regarding the lack of beds for patients and other medical equipment at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) and Federal Government Services Hospital (FGSH), Islamabad. Six lawmakers spoke on it for 29 minutes while Minister for CADD concluded the debate in 12 minutes.
- Chairman of Senate Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research informed the House about its successful efforts in cancellation of lease agreement of 1400 acres land between Capital Development Authority and National Agriculture Research Council. Four lawmakers spoke on it for 15 minutes.
- Six lawmakers raised as many Points of Public Importance consuming 13 minutes of the proceedings.
- Ten out of 20 Starred Questions were taken up for answers during the proceedings. In addition, lawmakers asked 25 supplementary questions.
- The Chair referred two Privilege Motions of PML-F lawmaker to the Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges. These motions were against the management of national airline.
Order and Institutionalization
- A PPPP lawmaker walked out of the House for one minute against some actions of NAB in Sindh.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the Senate website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The Senate transacted its entre agenda on Monday and adopted a private member’s resolution demanding the government to provide free…
ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2021: The Senate on Friday elected its Chairman and Deputy Chairman during first day of the new parliamentary year, while 48 Senators…
ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network…