ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2016: The Senate held special session on Friday to commemorate its 44th Foundation Day and discuss the role and power of the Upper House of Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet.
- The Senate met for three hours and 27 minutes
- The sitting started at 1534 hours against the scheduled time of 1530 hours
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader attended the entire sitting.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- 34 (33%) Senators were present at the start and 26 (25%) at the time of adjournment.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, JUI-F, PkMAP, NP, PML, ANP, MQM, BNP-M, JI and PML-N were present.
- Two minority members also attended the sitting.
- Tabled by the Leader of the Opposition, the House adopted a resolution for continuation of Senate’s role in ensuring rights of the marginalized segment of society and empowering the provinces as per the Constitution.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Twenty-nine lawmakers – PML-N (7), PPPP (5), ANP & MQM (3 each), PkMAP, NP & JUI-F (2 each), JI, PTI, BNP-M & PML (one each) and an Independent – took part in the debate for three hours and 20 minutes held in connection with the Foundation Day of Senate.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and rejected the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020 with majority vote, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 15, 2020: The Senate referred two FATF-related bills to the relevant committees and debated the motorway gang-rape incident, observes Free and Fair Election…