ISLAMABAD, May 10, 2018: The Senate on Thursday concluded debate on the Federal Budget 2018-19 and discussed necessary amendment in the Constitution for authorising it to approve money bill including the finance bill, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings of 9th sitting of 277th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and two minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 41 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the proceedings for two hour and 39 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, JUI-F, BNP-M and PkMAP were present.
- Sixteen members (15% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 20 (19%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Chairman, Functional Committee on Human Rights presented report on the Women in Distress and Detention Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2017, the Juvenile Justice System Bill, 2018, the Criminal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2018 and the Islamabad Capital Territory Child Protection Bill, 2018.
- The Chairman Senate gave a ruling demanding the government to implement the resolutions of the Senate to empower it to have role in Finance Bill ,specially the Public Sector Development Program (PSDP), in letter and spirit.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five Senators took part in the debate on the Finance Bill 2018, consuming an hour and 23 minutes of the proceeding. State Minister for Finance concluded debate on it and spoke for 40 minutes.
- Two Calling Attention Notices were deferred on the request of movers.
- Tabled by the Leader of the House, the House passed a motion under rule 204 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012. It authorized the Chairman Senate to constitute a Special Committee on Law Reforms and make changes in the composition of the Committee as and when deemed necessary.
Order and Institutionalization
- Seventeen lawmakers spoke on as many points of order for 45 minutes which were mainly about necessary amendment in the Constitution for authorising the Senate to approve money bill including the finance bill.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and rejected the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020 with majority vote, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 15, 2020: The Senate referred two FATF-related bills to the relevant committees and debated the motorway gang-rape incident, observes Free and Fair Election…