- President Arif Alvi highlights indigenous movement of Kashmiris against Indian illegal occupation of the Valley
ISLAMABAD, August 5, 2020: The Senate convened a special session on Wednesday in connection with Youm-e-Istehsal Kashmir to condemn the revocation of Indian-Occupied Kashmir’s special status by India last year, which was also addressed by the President of Pakistan, says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the only sitting of the 301st session:
- The Senate met for five hours and 12 minutes. However, the proceedings remained suspended for 47 minutes due to two breaks.
- The sitting started at 1131 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for four hours and 37 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and 57 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 26 lawmakers (25%) were present at the outset and 52 (50%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, MQM, ANP, PTI, JI, PkMAP and PPPP attended the sitting.
- Three minority lawmakers were also present.
- Tabled by Minister for Foreign Affairs, the House adopted a resolution to express solidarity with the Kashmiris braving Indian atrocities and demanded to resolve the issue in accordance with the aspirations of Kashmiri people.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Seventeen lawmakers, Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs and Minster for Foreign Affairs participated in the debate on a motion under Rule 218. The motion was related to blatant human rights violations in the Indian-Occupied Kashmir by the Indian Occupation Forces after complete lockdown of the area and revocation of its special status in August 2019 against the UN resolutions and the International Law.
- The President of Pakistan, Dr Arif Alvi, addressed the Upper House of the Parliament for 27 minutes and highlighted the indigenous movement of Kashmiris against the Indian illegal occupation.
Order and Institutionalization
- The session was prorogued sine die.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, April 13, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted 80% of its agenda and adjourned due to lack of quorum, says Free…
ISLAMABAD, April 12, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed two government bills and adopted three supplementary resolutions, says Free and Fair Election…
ISLAMABAD, April 11, 2021: NA-75 Sialkot-IV (Daska) by-election held on April 10, 2021 witnessed low incidences of electoral violations as procedures were generally transparent and…