ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2021: The Senate adopted a condolence resolution on the demise of Senator Mushahid Ullah Khan and discussed the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance 2021, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in Daily Factsheet on Saturday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the first and last sitting of 307th session requisitioned by the Opposition:
- The Senate met for seven hours and six minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for an hour and 38 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the proceedings for four hours and 36 minutes while the remaining sitting was chaired by a member of panel of chairperson.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 25 lawmakers (24%) were present at the outset and nine (8%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, NP, BAP and BNP-M attended the sitting.
- Two out of four minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- The House unanimously adopted a supplementary resolution to condole the death of PML-N Parliamentary Leader, Senator Mushahid Ullah Khan. Twenty-nine lawmakers including the Leaders of the House and the Opposition highlighted the political career of deceased Senator during condolence reference and spoke for two hours and 14 minutes.
- Sixteen lawmakers, Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs and State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs debated a motion under Rule 218 related to the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance, 2021 seeking change in the Senate election procedure. They spoke on it for three hours.
Order and Institutionalization
- The Session was prorogued sine die.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, March 5, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh left most of its agenda unaddressed and adopted a supplementary resolution on Friday, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, March 5, 2021: The Punjab Assembly witnessed introduction of five government bills on Friday which were referred to the relevant committees for consideration, observes…
ISLAMABAD, March 4, 2021: The National Assembly proceeded for only five minutes on Thursday and was prorogued without taking up any agenda, observes Free and…