ISLAMABAD, April 13, 2017: The Senate on Thursday held threadbare discussion on the question of inconsistency in the Rules of Procedure regarding reports of the standing committees, observes Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fourth sitting of Senate’s 261st session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 49 minutes.
- The sitting started one minute behind the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 52 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Nine members (8%) were present at the outset and 14 (13%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQM, BNP-M, PkMAP and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Three minority Senators attended the sitting.
- A member of the Functional Committee on Human Rights presented report of the committee on the National Commission on the Rights of the Child Bill, 2017.
- The House also witnessed presentation of reports of the Standing Committees on Law and Justice and Interior and Narcotics Control on eight legislative proposals referred to them.
- Seven Senators and Ministers for Law and Defence debated the question of inconsistency in paragraph (c) of sub rule (1) of rule 100 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012 regarding referral of a Bill, reported back by the Standing Committee, to a Select Committee. The Chairman reserved his ruling on the subject.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices regarding decline in the remittances due to deportation of Pakistani laborers from Gulf countries and poor ranking of Pakistani passport.
- Seven lawmakers spoke on Points of Public Importance consuming 31 minutes of the proceedings.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming as minutes of the proceedings.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2021: The Senate adopted a condolence resolution on the demise of Senator Mushahid Ullah Khan and discussed the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance 2021, observes…
ISLAMABAD, February 4, 2021: The 306th Session of Senate was prorogued after transacting entire agenda on Thursday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…