ISLAMABAD, August 29, 2019: The Senate adopted a resolution on Thursday to disapprove the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council Ordinance, 2019 and discussed current situation in the Indian Occupied Kashmir (IOK), observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the first sitting of 293rd session:
- The House met for two hours and 47 minutes; however, the proceedings remained suspended for 15 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1700 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leaders of the House and the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 18 lawmakers (17%) were present at the outset and 33 (32%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, ANP, JI, MQM, PTI and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Three out of four minority lawmakers were also present.
- Tabled by a PPPP lawmaker, the House adopted a resolution under Rule 145 (2) to disapprove the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council Ordinance, 2019.
- The House adopted another resolution to establish an International Parliamentarians’ Congress (IPC) with its Headquarters in Islamabad. The IPC would be a robust, interactive, well connected platform for Parliamentarians around the globe to analyze problems, define strategies, design policies and then implement those plans. The resolution was tabled by the Leader of the House.
- Moved by the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, the House passed the Heavy Industries Taxila Board (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
- Another government bill – the Federal Government Employees Housing Authority Bill, 2019 – was withdrawn by the Minister of State for Housing and Works.
- Convener Special Committee on China-Pak Economic Corridor (CPEC) presented 1st Interim Report on CPEC.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research, a member of the Committee presented report on a point of public importance regarding regularization of 64 posts of three projects in Balochistan.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Information and Broadcasting, a member of the Committee presented report on a matter regarding job security to employees of National Language Promotion Department.
- Chairperson Standing Committee on Postal Services presented report on the Post Office Bill, 2019.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs presented reports on the Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2019 and the Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Railways presented report regarding non-availability of water, light, window glass and insufficient bogies in the trains operating between Quetta and Chaman.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Defence Production presented report on the Heavy Industries Taxila Board (Amendment) Bill, 2019 while another report of Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination regarding the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council Bill, 201 was withdrawn.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Five lawmakers participated in the discussion about current situation in IOK and spoke for 56 minutes. Minister for Foreign Affairs also gave 30-minute statement on it.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on August 30, 2019 (Friday) at 1000 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan left its entire agenda unaddressed and discussed law and order situation in the province, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, February 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) passed the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Land Acquisition (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on Tuesday amidst protest by…
ISLAMABAD, February 17, 2020: The National Assembly passed three government bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to extend an Ordinance, observes the Free and Fair…