ISLAMABAD, May 12, 2020: The Senate clubbed five motions to discuss situation arising out of the coronavirus pandemic in Pakistan, the government’s response and its policy to tackle this daunting challenge, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet on Tuesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of the first sitting of 298th session requisitioned by the opposition lawmakers:
- The Senate met for two hours and 16 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House was present for an hour and 18 minutes while the Opposition Leader attended the sitting for two hours and two minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PkMAP PML-N and PTI attended the sitting.
- Eighteen members (17% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 26 (25%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House held discussion on five clubbed Motions under Rule 218 related to situation arising out of the coronavirus and the government’s response as well as policy to tackle issues emerged after this pandemic in Pakistan. Five lawmakers spoke on these motions for an hour and 30 minutes while Minister for Foreign Affairs gave 33-minute statement about government efforts to combat this challenge.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on May 14, 2020 (Thursday) at 1200 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, May 15, 2020: The 21st Session of National Assembly was prorogued on Friday after concluding debate on the situation arising out of COVID-19 pandemic…
ISLAMABAD, May 14, 2020: The requisitioned Session of Senate was prorogued on Thursday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes the Free…