ISLAMABAD, April 18, 2017: The Senate discussed an Adjournment Motion on Tuesday regarding recent hike in prices of basic food items and its impact on the poor, observes Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during seventh sitting of Senate’s 261st session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 50 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 31 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Five members (5%) were present at the outset and 14 (13%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The Parliamentary leaders of PTI, JUI-F, BNP-M, JI and PML-N attended the sitting.
- One minority Senator also attended the proceedings.
- The House passed the National School of Public Policy (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- The Senate witnessed presentation of two reports of the Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges while as many reports of the Standing Committee on Finance and one of Housing and Works were also presented in the House.
- The Chair gave ruling on the inconsistency in paragraph (c), sub-rule (1) of Rule 100 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business regarding referral of a Bill reported by the Standing Committee to a Select Committee.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed an Adjournment Motion on recent hike in prices of basic food items. Eleven lawmakers and Minister for Commerce spoke for 97 minutes.
- The Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion regarding the decision of World Bank’s Tribunal on a case between the Government of Balochistan and Tethyan Copper Company.
- A motion under Rule 172A was deferred on constituting the House into a Committee of the Whole to develop strategy that addresses the increasing threat of water scarcity to the Federation.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) about increasing trade deficit during July-March (FY 2016-17). Another CAN regarding alleged embezzlement of Rs.134 billion by National and International Gas Companies was dropped due to mover’s absence.
- The Minister for Commerce gave a statement under rule 265 of the Rules of Procedure on the economic situation of the country.
- The statement of Minister for National Health Services on a point of public importance was also deferred. The minister had to give statement on the mismanagement in PMDC election affairs.
- Sixteen out of 31 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda were taken up. In addition, lawmakers asked 30 Supplementary Questions.
- An Adjournment Motion sponsored by JI lawmaker was not admitted for being in contravention with the rules.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming five minutes of the proceedings.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The Senate transacted its entre agenda on Monday and adopted a private member’s resolution demanding the government to provide free…
ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2021: The Senate on Friday elected its Chairman and Deputy Chairman during first day of the new parliamentary year, while 48 Senators…
ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network…