ISLAMABAD, December 30, 2015: The Senate discussed National Action Plan and took up entire agenda during the 11th sitting of its 122nd session on Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
The House witnessed low attendance with only 16 (15%) legislators present at the start and 35 (34%) at the time of adjournment of the sitting.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for three hours and 35 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The House had a prayer break for 20 minutes.
- The Leader of the House did not attend the sitting.
- The Opposition Leader was present for 153 minutes.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Federal Ministers for Climate Change; Commerce; Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit Baltistan; Religious Affairs; Petroleum and Natural Resources; Planning and Interior while State Ministers for Parliamentary Affair and Interior attended the sitting.
- Sixteen (15%) senators were present at the start and 35 (34%) at the time of adjournment.
- Parliamentary leaders of MQM, BNP-M, PPPP, PkMPA and PML-N were present.
- Two minority members were present.
- Minister for Climate Change introduced the Futures Market Bill, 2015 which was referred to the relevant committee for further deliberations.
- The House witnessed presentation of reports on the Pakistan Environmental Protection (Amendment) Bill, 2015 and an adjournment motion (AM) regarding failure of Foreign Policy of Pakistan on account of non-election of Pakistan as Member of the United Nations Human Rights Council.
Representation and Responsiveness
- All 16 starred questions appearing on the agenda were answered by the relevant departments while the Senators also raised 21 supplementary questions.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) on the agenda. The first CAN was about charging of withholding tax by banks, even from the filers, on banking transactions while other was regarding continuous operation of heavy crushing machinery on the Margalla Hills near Taxila.
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion for debate regarding privatization of PIA.
- Chairman Senate and twenty-five lawmakers spoke on National Action Plan for 58 percent (124 minutes) of the sitting time.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and rejected the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020 with majority vote, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 15, 2020: The Senate referred two FATF-related bills to the relevant committees and debated the motorway gang-rape incident, observes Free and Fair Election…