ISLAMABAD, July 27, 2016: The Senate discussed an adjournment motion regarding salient features of agreement between Pakistan and China during 8th sitting of its 250th session on Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House business:
- The Senate met for four hours.
- The sitting started at 1503 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman chaired the sitting for two hours and 53 minutes while rest of the proceeding was presided over by a member of Panel of Presiding Officer.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 44 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 42 minutes.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PTI, BNP-M, ANP, PML-N, PML, JI, BNP-A, PkMAP and MQM attended the sitting.
- Twenty members (19% of the total membership -104) were present at the outset and 18 members (17%) at the end of the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Information Technology and Telecommunications presented report about the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Bill, 2016.
- Chairman Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination presented special report of the Committee for the period from February to June, 2016.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding twenty two Pakistani citizens stranded in Yemen.
- Another CAN about repeated statements of the Chairman WAPDA in the print/electronic media regarding construction of Kala Bagh Dam was not taken up.
- The House discussed an adjournment motion which was regarding salient points of agreement between Pakistan and China especially China-Pakistan Economic Corridor. Nineteen lawmakers and Chairman Senate spoke on it for two hours and 33 minutes.
The Chair admitted an adjournment motion for discussion regarding the decision of FATA Secretariat to close down 497 schools of FATA under the rationalization plan.
Order and Institutionalization
- Six Points of Public Importance consumed 16 minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 26, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Tuesday and started discussion on the presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, January 25, 2021: The Senate referred 12 private members’ bills to the relevant committees after their introduction in the House and adopted five resolutions…
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2021: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed half of the proceedings’ time in discussion on public matters,…