ISLAMABAD, May 12, 2017: The Senate held discussion on the Prime Minister’s businesses and ongoing investigation in Panama Leaks issue and condemned the attack on its Deputy Chairman in Mastung on Friday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during second sitting of the Senate’s 262nd session requisitioned by the opposition:
- The Senate met for six hours and 27 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for an hour and 50 minutes for Friday prayers.
- The sitting started 10 minutes behind the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for three hours and five minutes.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Twenty-two members (21%) were present at the outset and 16 (15%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, PTI, JI, BNP-M, PkMAP and NP attended the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The Convener Special Committee on Marginalized Segments of Society presented 4th Interim report of the committee on situation of marginalized segments of society.
- The House witnessed presentation of standing committees’ reports on seven bills including the Ehtram-e-Ramazan (Amendment) Bill, 2017; the Islamabad Rent Restriction (Amendment) Bill, 2017; the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Amendment of Article 37); the Islamabad Consumers Protection (Amendment) Bill, 2017; the Islamabad Capital Territory Shops, Business and Industrial Establishments (Security) (Amendment) Bill, 2017; the Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2017 and the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2017 (Amendment of Articles 63, 177 and 193).
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed three motions under Rule 194 (1) to grant 30-day extension to the Standing Committees on Cabinet Secretariat and Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics and Privatization for presentation their reports on three legislative proposals.
- Two lawmakers including the Leader of Opposition took part in discussion on Motion under Rule 218 regarding Dawn Leaks while the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs concluded it. The discussion consumed 48 minutes.
- Sixteen lawmakers participated in the discussion on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding businesses of Prime Minister and ongoing investigation in Panama Leaks issue. The discussion continued for an hour and 57 minutes and was concluded by the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs. The Minister for Law and Justice also spoke regarding the admissibility of these motions.
- The House adopted a motion to suspend Private Members’ business on Monday and take up remaining Motions under Rule 218 of opposition lawmakers.
- Seventeen lawmakers took part in discussion about attack on the Deputy Chairman Senate in Mastung. The discussion continued for an hour and 22 minutes.
- The House offered condolence prayers for the people who lost their lives in Karachi on May 12, 2007 and in Mastung attack.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on two Points of Order consuming six minutes of the proceedings.
- The Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
ISLAMABAD, February 20, 2021: The Senate adopted a condolence resolution on the demise of Senator Mushahid Ullah Khan and discussed the Elections (Amendment) Ordinance 2021, observes…
ISLAMABAD, February 4, 2021: The 306th Session of Senate was prorogued after transacting entire agenda on Thursday, observers Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…