ISLAMABAD, January 8, 2021: The Senate on Friday debated a motion under rule 218 regarding the ‘government’s unprecedented crackdown’ against the workers of the opposition parties and also a sit-in protest by the families of slain miners in Quetta, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during fifth sitting of 305th session requisitioned by the opposition lawmakers:
- The Senate met for two hours and 34 minutes.
- The sitting started 1033 hours against the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the proceedings for 32 minutes while the remaining sitting was chaired by a member of panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hour and four minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of NP, BNP-M and PkMAP attended the sitting.
- Sixteen members (17% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 21 (20%) at the end of sitting.
- A newly elected Senator from BAP took the oath.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Ten lawmakers from both sides of aisle and Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs spoke on a motion under Rule 218 for two hours and 17 minutes which was regarding the ‘government’s unprecedented crackdown’ against the workers of the opposition parties. However, they also expressed their views about sit-in protest in Quetta by families of slain miners during this debate.
Order and Institutionalization
- A lawmaker spoke on a point of personal explanation for two minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on January 11, 2021 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed law and order, increase in prices of petroleum products and challenges after drought in…
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh transacted one-fourth of its agenda and was adjourned earlier without considering legislative business, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, February 26, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business and consumed major part of the proceeding in points of order…