ISLAMABAD, December 14, 2017: The Senate on Thursday discussed the situation arising out of the recent sit-in at Faizabad Interchange in Islamabad, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are the key observations of the proceedings during fourth sitting of the 271st session.
- The Senate met for three hours and 22 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 19 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at 1535 hours against the scheduled time of 1530 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 62 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for two hours and 11 minutes.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-F, PkMAP, BNP-M, PML, NP, PTI, PPPP, ANP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- As many as 16 lawmakers (15% of the total membership- 104) were present at the outset and 18 (17%) at the end of sitting.
- One minority Senator attended the sitting.
- Chairman Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges presented report on a privilege motion against the Chairman CDA. Nine lawmakers discussed it for 26 minutes.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House discussed an adjournment motion regarding the situation arising out of the manner in which the recent sit-in at Faizabad was called off culminating into abject surrender of the rule of law and constitutionally established Government before a stick and gun wielding mob. Fourteen lawmakers debated it for two hours and 11 minutes.
- The House passed four motions under Rule 194 (1). Three motions were about granting extension of 30 working days to Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges for presentation of its reports on privilege motions against PIA and Pak-PWD while one motion was about granting extension of 30 days to Standing Committee of Information for presentation of report on a point of public importance regarding mismanagement in the affairs of Associated Press of Pakistan Balochistan.
Order and Institutionalization
- Six lawmakers spoke on Point of Public Importance consuming 15 minutes of the proceedings.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The Senate transacted its entre agenda on Monday and adopted a private member’s resolution demanding the government to provide free…
ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2021: The Senate on Friday elected its Chairman and Deputy Chairman during first day of the new parliamentary year, while 48 Senators…
ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network…