ISLAMABAD, August 23, 2017: The Senate on Wednesday discussed US President’s new strategy for South Asia as well as Afghanistan and also his remarks about Pakistan, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during third sitting of 266th session:
- The Senate met for five hours and 48 minutes.
- The sitting started at its scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The House had a prayer break for 13 minutes.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the proceedings for initial an hour and nine minutes while the Chairman presided the rest of the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for five hours and 21 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for three hours and 37 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, NP, PPPP, BNP-M, MQM, JUI-F, PML-F PML and PTI attended the sitting.
- Eighteen members (17% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 16 (15%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The House adopted a resolution for revival of students unions in the educational institutions of the country.
- Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit Baltistan presented the Federal Public Service Commission’s Annual Report for the year, 2015 and the Annual Report of the National Economic Council for the Financial Year 2015-16.
- The House adopted the report of the Committee of Whole containing resolution on the need for revival of students unions in the educational institutions in the country particularly in Colleges and Universities.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Twenty-six lawmakers discussed the remarks of US President about Pakistan and his new strategy for South Asia and Afghanistan. They spoke on it for two hours and 37 minutes while Chairman Senate reacted over the statement of US President and warned Vietnam and Cambodia like situation over any misadventure.
- The Senate held a reference for late Senator Abdul Rahim Khan Mandokhail, who passed away on May 20, 2017. Seventeen lawmakers spoke during this reference for 57 minutes and paid tribute to the deceased lawmaker. The Chairman Senate also spoke for four minutes.
- The Chair admitted an Adjournment Motion (AM) for discussion which was about recent visit by the Indian Prime Minister to the US and signing of a number of defence agreements between the two countries.
- MQM lawmaker withdrew his adjournment motion on the agenda after the Chair’s advice to move Motion under Rule 218 on the issue.
- Another joint adjournment motion on the agenda was not admitted for being in contravention with rules.
- As many as nine out of 36 Starred Questions were taken up for answers during the proceedings. The lawmakers asked 22 supplementary questions as well.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice regarding embezzlement of billions of rupees in the Cooperative Housing Societies of the Federal Capital. It was responded to by Minister for Interior.
- Minister for Interior also responded to two points of public importance.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, October 29, 2020: The Senate on Thursday discussed the recent bomb attack on a religious school in Peshawar while leaving half of…
ISLAMABAD, October 26, 2020: The Senate passed three private members’ bills on Monday and adopted a resolution to condemn comments of French President Emmanuel Macron…
ISLAMABAD, October 23, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed almost one third of the proceedings in points of public…