ISLAMABAD, November 18, 2016: The House of Federation on Friday adopted two resolutions to pay tribute and express grief over the demise of former lawmakers Jehangir Badar (PPP) and Haji Adeel (ANP), says the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during first sitting of the 255th session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 10 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1100 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 55 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PkMAP, BNP-M, PML-N, ANP, JUI-F, NP and PML attended the sitting.
- Sixteen (15% of the total membership – 104) members were present at the start and 20 (19%) at the end of sitting.
- One minority legislator attended the proceedings.
- The House adopted two separate resolutions to express sorrow over the sad demise of former Leader of the House Jehangir Badar and Senator Haji Adeel. The Senate Chairman and 31 other lawmakers discussed the political career of Jehangir Badar for an hour and 28 minutes. The House will discuss the political career of former Senator Haji Adeel on Monday.
- The House witnessed presentation of reports on the Corporate Rehabilitation Bill, 2015 and the Plant Breeders’ Rights Bill, 2016.
- Another report on Pak-US security relations, especially after drone strike against Mullah Akhter Mansoor, was also presented.
- The Companies Ordinance, 2016 was not laid as copies of the said ordinance were not tabled in the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Chair deferred two Adjournment Motions (AMs) due to the absence of relevant lawmakers. The motions were regarding loss of Rs. 4.46 billion incurred by Nandi Pur Power Plant in June, 2016 and 36% increase in the gas prices by the Federal Government as reported in newspapers on October 10, 2016.
- Another AM on the privatization policy of the government in the light of sub-section (2) of section 16 of the Privatization Commission Ordinance, 2000 was withdrawn by the mover.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) on the irregularities in issuance of consent letters to the registered retired employees of Constitutional Bodies for allotment of plots in Sectors F-14 and F-15 under categories I, III and V.
- Another CAN on the non-construction of Chashma-Zhob transmission line was deferred due to the mover’s absence.
- The House passed a motion to suspend the Question Hour.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, February 17, 2020: The Senate’s 295th session was prorogued sine die on Monday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, February 14, 2020: The Senate passed six government bills on Friday and consumed two-third of the proceedings’ time on points of public importance, observes…
ISLAMABAD, February 11, 2020: The Senate passed two government bills and discussed the report regarding problems of less developed districts in South Punjab, observes Free and…