ISLAMABAD, July 22, 2020: The Senate discussed political and foreign issues through points of public importance and extended the deadline for presentation of a report of Standing Committee on taxation issues in erstwhile Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), says Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet on Wednesday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the fifth sitting of the 300th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 38 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the proceedings for two hours and 59 minutes while remaining sitting was chaired by a Member of Panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and 23 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 18 lawmakers (17%) were present at the outset and 11 (10%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PkMAP and JI attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers were present.
- The House passed a motion under Rule 194 (1) granting 60-day extension to Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs for presentation of report regarding taxation issues arising after merger of FATA with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa with effect from July 25, 2020. The matter was raised in the House by an Independent lawmaker on January 6, 2020 through a point of public importance.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed a motion authorizing Chairman Senate to appoint Senators in the parliamentary committee constituted by the Speaker National Assembly to give recommendations about addressing legislative business pending in both Houses.
- The House took up nine out of 17 starred questions while lawmakers also asked 19 supplementary questions.
- The House did not take up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding the suspension of PIA operation flights by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency to their respective countries.
- Seventeen lawmakers, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs spoke on points of public importance for two hours and 31 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on July 24, 2020 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, August 13, 2020: The Senate on Thursday referred five government bills to the relevant committees, which were related to the Financial Action Task Force…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2020: The 24th session of Balochistan Assembly was prorogued on Wednesday after holding debate on issues at Pak-Afghan border in Chaman as…
ISLAMABAD, August 12, 2020: Traders disregarded the official prices of pulses in around two-thirds of the surveyed districts, meat in more than half of the regions,…