ISLAMABAD, September 29, 2016: The Senate held discussion on the International Democracy Day and approved a motion expressing gratitude to the President for addressing Parliament, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the Daily Factsheet on Thursday.
Following are some key observations of the House proceedings during fourth sitting of 253rd session:
- The Senate met for four hours and one minute.
- The proceedings remained suspended for 17 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at its scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting except for first one hour and five minutes when a member of Panel of Chairpersons presided over the proceedings. The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for three hours and 10 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for 47 minutes.
- Eight members (7%) were present at the outset and 18 (17%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, PTI, MQM, BNP-M, PML-F and NP attended the sitting.
- Three minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Convener of the Special Committee on the Performance of PIA presented first interim report on the overall performance of Pakistan International Airlines.
- The House granted the Standing Committee on Interior and Narcotics Control 30-day extension for presentation of the committee report.
- Minister for Law and Justice presented the Federal Accounts for the Financial Year 2013-14 and the reports of Auditor General for the Audit Year 2014-15.
- The House deferred consideration and passage of the Special Economic Zones (Amendment) Bill, 2016 on the request of treasury.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as 10 out of 34 Starred Questions were taken up and responded to by the relevant ministers during Question Hour. The lawmakers also asked 31 Supplementary Questions.
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices regarding exports target and rolling back Pakistan Textile City project.
- The House approved the Motion of Thanks to the President of Pakistan for his address to both the Houses assembled together on 1st June, 2016.
- Eighteen lawmakers took part in the discussion in relation to the International Day of Democracy consuming an hour and 55 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The lawmakers spoke on three Points of Order consuming four minutes of the proceedings.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, April 02, 2020: Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) urges the government and opposition parties to steer the country through the most critical health…
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
TDEA-FAFEN Releases Women Parliamentarians Performance Report on the Eve of International Women’s Day ISLAMABAD, March 7, 2020: Women parliamentarians continued to be proactive and assertive…