ISLAMABAD, December 31, 2015: The Senate adopted a joint resolution with majority vote disapproving the Pakistan International Airlines Corporation (Conversion) Ordinance, 2015 during 12th sitting of its ongoing 122nd session on Thursday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
The resolution was jointly sponsored by 51 Senators from PPPP, MQM, ANP, PTI, PML, PkMAP, JI and Independent lawmakers which opposed the Ordinance on conversion of national carrier into a limited Company.
Ten (9%) legislators were present at the start and 32 (31%) at the time of adjournment of the sitting.
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for 3 hours and 25 minutes.
- The sitting started four minutes late against the scheduled time of 1400 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was not present.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Opposition Leader attended the sitting for 2 hours and 56 minutes.
- Ten (9%) senators were present at the start and 32 (31%) at the time of adjournment.
- Federal Minister for Finance, Information, Religious Affairs, Railways, Defence and State Minister for Interior were present.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PML-N, BNP-M, MQM and PPPP were present.
- Two minority members were present.
- The House adopted a joint resolution with majority vote disapproving the Pakistan International Airlines Corporation (Conversion) Ordinance.
- Chairman Senate and eleven lawmakers – PPPP and PML-N (4 each) and one each of PTI, MQM, and PkMAP – spoke on it for 101 minutes.
- Leader of the House presented report of the Committee of Whole constituted on steps to provide speedy and inexpensive justice in the country.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House adopted a motion under Rule 196 (1) to adopt the report of the Committee of the Whole constituted on steps to provide speedy and inexpensive justice in the country.
- Another motion under Rule 194 (1) was also passed by the House which was about seeking extension in time period for presentation of report regarding collection and payment of royalty on LPG to the Provinces.
- The Chair admitted an adjournment motion to discuss the heinous attack on the innocent children of Army Public School, Peshawar on December 16, 2014.
- Another AM about shortfall of nearly 30% in the cotton production for the year 2015 was not admitted due to absence of mover.
- All 21 starred questions appearing on the agenda were answered by the relevant departments while the Senators also raised 26 supplementary questions.
- Two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) about decision of ECC to give subsidy to sugar mills and accident of Shaheen Airline’s Aircraft at Lahore airport were not taken up.
- Minister for Defence gave a statement regarding the recent visit of Chief of Army Staff to Afghanistan.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
To download factsheet, click here
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 26, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Tuesday and started discussion on the presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and…
ISLAMABAD, January 25, 2021: The Senate referred 12 private members’ bills to the relevant committees after their introduction in the House and adopted five resolutions…
ISLAMABAD, January 22, 2021: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and consumed half of the proceedings’ time in discussion on public matters,…