ISLAMABAD, November 12, 2018: The Senate witnessed presentation of 13 private members’ bill on Monday and all of them were referred to the relevant Standing Committees, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of the second sitting of 284th session:
- The Senate met for three hours and 36 minutes while the proceedings remained suspended for 16 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1430 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 49 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition remained present for two hours and 33 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PPPP, PML-F, ANP, BNP-M, JUI-F, MQM and PkMAP attended the proceedings.
- Fifteen Senators (14% of the total membership) were present at the outset and 18 (17%) at the end of the sitting.
- Two among four minority members attended the sitting.
- The House witnessed presentation of 13 private members’ bill which were the Day Care Centers Bill, 2018; the Trained Paramedical Staff Facility Bill, 2018; the Board of Investment (Amendment) Bill, 2018; the Ratification of Foreign Agreements by Parliament Bill, 2018; the Exit from Pakistan (Control) (Amendment) Bill, 2018; the SBP Banking Services Corporation (Repeal) Bill, 2018; the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2018] (Amendment of Article 11); the Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues (Amendment) Bill, 2018; the Foreign Private Investment (Promotion and Protection) (Amendment) Bill, 2018; the Banking Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2018; the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2018 (Amendment of Article 130); the State Bank of Pakistan (Amendment) Bill, 2018 and the Maternity and Paternity Leave Bill, 2018.
- Four Bills were dropped due to the absence of the movers at the time of their consideration. These bills were the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2018 (Amendment of Fourth Schedule); the Compulsory Blood Test of the Spouses and Proposed Spouses for Thalassaemia Disease Bill, 2018; the Pakistan Courier and Logistics Regulatory Authority Bill, 2018 and the Publication of the Holy Quran (Elimination of Printing and Recording Errors) (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Aviation presented report on a point of public importance regarding provision of phone facility at the New Islamabad International Airport.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House continued debate on commenced motions under Rule 218 regarding economic and foreign policies as well as law and order situation. Nine lawmakers participated in debate on these motions and spoke for an hour and 35 minutes. State Minister for Revenue and Minister for Petroleum Division gave a policy statement on these motions and spoke for 14 minutes and 16 minutes respectively.
Order and Institutionalization
- A lawmakers spoke on a Point of Order for four minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on November 14, 2018 at 1430 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, April 5, 2021: The Senate transacted its entre agenda on Monday and adopted a private member’s resolution demanding the government to provide free…
ISLAMABAD, March 12, 2021: The Senate on Friday elected its Chairman and Deputy Chairman during first day of the new parliamentary year, while 48 Senators…
ISLAMABAD, March 11, 2021: The Senate completed its 18th Parliamentary Year on Thursday after the conclusion of 308th session, observes Free and Fair Election Network…