ISLAMABAD, March 2, 2020: The requisitioned session of Senate concluded on Monday after debate on clubbed motions related to internal and external matters of the country, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of the second sitting of 296th session requisitioned by the opposition lawmakers:
- The Senate met for three hours and 31 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the sitting for two hours and 49 minutes while remaining proceedings were chaired by a Member of Panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leaders of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 23 minutes while the Opposition Leader was present for two hours and four minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, PML-F, PkMAP and PTI attended the sitting.
- Sixteen members (16% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 15 (14%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House continued discussion on six clubbed Motions under Rule 218 regarding political issues, situation in Occupied Kashmir, energy and natural resources, price hike, crime against children and matters related to parliamentary affairs. Fourteen lawmakers spoke on them for two hours and 25 minutes while Ministers for Power and Economic Affairs Divisions concluded debate on motions related to their departments.
Order and Institutionalization
- An MQM lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1638 hours but it was found complete upon counting after ringing of the bells for five minutes.
- Five lawmakers spoke on points of order for 13 minutes.
- The session was prorogued sine die.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and took up five Call Attention Notices (CANs) on Friday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The requisitioned session of Balochistan Assembly discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and issues related to law and order,…
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) transacted most of its agenda and passed three government bills, observes Free and Fair…