ISLAMABAD, July 21, 2018: The Senate on Saturday concluded debate on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding political situation in the country ahead of general elections on July 25, observes the Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings of last (2nd) sitting of 280th session requisitioned by the 26 lawmakers from the treasury benches:
- The Senate met for three hours and 17 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours 44 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and 56 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of ANP, JUI-F and MQM attended the sitting.
- Fourteen members (13% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 16 (15%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Chairman Senate Standing Committee on Interior presented report about meetings of Committee with ECP, representatives of GHQ, Secretary Interior, NACTA, PEMRA and other stakeholders assisting ECP as per election code of conduct.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Information, a member of the Committee presented report on media concerns about recent restrictions being imposed on it.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House continued discussion on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding prevailing law and order and political situation in country. As many as 18 lawmakers participated in the discussion consuming two hours and 51 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- PPPP lawmakers staged walkout of the House at 1306 hours against banning union in PIA. They did not return to the House till end of the sitting at 1317 hours.
- The Session was prorogued sine die.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted.
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 19, 2021: The Senate passed four government bills on Friday amid opposition’s protest, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the…
ISLAMABAD, November 16, 2021: The Senate transacted 93 percent agenda on Tuesday and was adjourned amid lack of quorum and opposition’s walkout from the proceedings, observes…
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2021: The Senate adopted four resolutions and referred seven private members’ bills to the relevant committees for consideration, observes Free and Fair Election…