ISLAMABAD, October 20, 2020: The Senate sitting was adjourned on Tuesday amid lack of quorum and opposition’s walkout from the proceedings, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the third sitting of 304th session:
- The Senate met for an hour and 59 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the sitting for an hour and 47 minutes.
- As many as 19 lawmakers (18%) were present at the outset and 11 (10%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, NP, PPPP, PTI and MQM attended the sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers were present.
- The House adopted a resolution to express sorrow over the sad demise of senior PPPP leader Rashid Rabbani.
- Chairperson Standing Committee on Maritime Affairs presented reports of the Committee on two points of Public Importance regarding rent/demurrage charges on goods imported during lock-down and early closing of offices of shipping lines.
- On behalf of the Chairman Standing Committee on Poverty Alleviation and Social Safety, a member of the Committee presented report on a starred question regarding the names, parentage, designations and departments of the Government officers and officials who were receiving BISP stipends in the names of their relatives and have been excluded from BISP roll since December, 2019.
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Power presented report of the Committee on a Point of Public Importance regarding provision of electricity to Chromite-Mining Areas of Muslim Bagh, District Qilla Saifullah, Balochistan.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Information and Broadcasting presented report of the Committee on a Point of Public regarding issue of equal representation in TV talk shows on PTV.
- On behalf of the Chairman Standing Committee on Interior, a member of the Committee presented report on a Point of Public Importance regarding rights of special people.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs presented reports of the Committee on a starred question regarding the amount contributed by Pakistan so far towards financing of South Asian University (SAU) and on a point of Public Importance regarding issuance of notice by FBR to the Ambassador of Palestine.
- Chairperson Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges presented report of the Committee on a Privilege Motion moved by Senator Kauda Babar against the then Chairperson FBR regarding non-convening of the meetings of FBR Policy Board.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs) about the sit-in by Pakistan Hindu Council agitating the murder of a migrated Pakistani Hindu family in Jodhpur, India and assigning of duties by the Prime Minister to the Tiger Force to control increase in prices. These CANs were responded to by Minister for Foreign Affairs and the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, respectively.
- Two out of 10 starred questions were taken up in the House while lawmakers asked four supplementary questions as well.
- The House passed a motion under Rule 194 (1) granting 30-day extension to Standing Committee on Law and Justice for presentation of report on the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2020 (Amendment of Article 89).
- A PPPP lawmaker spoke on his privilege motion for 16 minutes which was regarding non-tabling of an Ordinance in Parliament promulgated on September 2, 2020. The Leader of the House also discussed it for four minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The opposition walked out from the proceedings at 1747 hours against non-laying of an Ordinance in Parliament promulgated on September 2, 2020. They did not return to the House till adjournment of sitting.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1755 hours that led to the ringing of bells for two minutes. The quorum did not complete after the bells and the House was adjourned to meet again on October 22, 2020 (Thursday) at 1600 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, December 2, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) adopted a resolution and witnessed the introduction of two government bills on Wednesday, observes Free…
ISLAMABAD, November 30, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan met for only four minutes on Monday as the Speaker adjourned the sitting due to low…
ISLAMABAD, November 27, 2020: The Balochistan Assembly on Friday adopted five private members’ resolutions and discussed an adjournment motion related to murder of a political…