ISLAMABAD, February 25, 2019: The Senate did not transact 89 percent of its business on Monday and debated political as well as law and order issues, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the first sitting of 287th session:
- The House met for five hours and 24 minutes; however, the proceeding remained suspended for 15 minutes due to prayer break.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman also attended the sitting.
- The Leader of House attended the sitting for four hours and 33 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for three hours.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Eleven lawmakers (10%) were present at the outset and 18 (17%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of JI, PML-N, PkMP, PPPP, BAP and JUI-F attended the sitting.
- Two out of four minority lawmakers were present.
- The House did not take up legislative agenda, five motions under Rule 218 and as many resolutions appearing on Orders of the Day.
- Tabled by the Leader of the Opposition, the House adopted a resolution to condemn threats, war hysteria by India and propaganda against Pakistan after Pulwama attack.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Science and Technology, a member of the Committee presented report on a starred question asked by PML-N lawmaker on August 31, 2018.
- A member of Standing Committee on Communications, on behalf of its Chairman, presented report on a point of public importance regarding closure of link roads between the villages of the fishermen and the sea due to construction of Expressway in Gwadar.
- On behalf of Chairman Functional Committee on Human Rights, a member of the Committee presented report on the Child Marriage Restraint (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
- The House passed a motion under Rule 194 (1) granting extension of 45 days to Standing Committee on Power for presentation of report regarding payment to the owners of land acquired for Suki Kinari Hydel Project.
- The Chairman Senate gave a ruling regarding the production order of an Independent lawmaker arrested by NAB authorities.
Order and Institutionalization
- Twenty-one lawmakers spoke on Points of Order (POs) for four hours and 30 minutes consuming 83 percent of the proceeding’s time. These POs were related to political and law and order issues.
- A PPPP lawmaker walked out of the proceeding for ten minutes against the attitude of a member who wanted to speak before him on a point of order despite Chair’s directions.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on February 26, 2019 (Tuesday) at 1530 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, April 02, 2020: Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) urges the government and opposition parties to steer the country through the most critical health…
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
77% Lawmakers Remain Inactive during Session ISLAMABAD, March 14, 2020: The Punjab Assembly left 68 percent of its scheduled business unaddressed during its 20th session…