ISLAMABAD, July 22, 2016: The Senate transacted its entire agenda appearing on ‘Orders of the Day’ during 5th sitting of its 250th session on Friday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House business:
- The Senate met for two hours and 27 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Chairman chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and eight minutes while the Leader of the Opposition did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, PPPP, PTI, PML, NP and PML-N attended the sitting.
- Eight members (7% of the total membership -104) were present at the outset and 28 members (27%) at the end of the sitting.
- Four minority Senators attended the sitting.
- The Senate adopted a resolution to express solidarity with Kashmiri people over Indian aggression in the valley and urged the international community to support their right of self-determination.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Commerce presented report on the budgetary allocation and its utilization by the Ministry of Commerce and its allied/ attached Departments. He also presented special report of the Committee for the period from May, 2015 to May, 2016.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on National Food Security and Research, an Independent Senator presented 7th follow up report regarding proposed “conversion of 1400 acres land of National Agricultural Research Centre by the Capital Development Authority into residential/commercial plots”.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs). The first CAN was regarding continuous delay in 8th NFC Award while other notice was about acute shortage of water in various sectors of Islamabad.
- The Chair did not admit two adjournment motions on the agenda for being against the admissibility criteria.
- The House took all 21 starred questions appearing on the agenda. In addition, the lawmakers also asked 29 supplementary questions.
Order and Institutionalization
- Eighteen Points of Public Importance consumed 52 minutes of the proceedings.
- The entire Opposition walked out of the House for two minutes against the unscheduled load shedding in the country and attitude of Chairman WAPDA reportedly running campaign in favor of Kala Bagh Dam.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2021: The Senate on Friday discussed the role of NAB in accountability process and a motion related to energy crisis and inflation…
ISLAMABAD, January 12, 2021: The Senate on Tuesday concluded debate on a motion related to the Presidential Ordinance about Sindh and Balochistan islands and the…
ISLAMABAD, January 11, 2021: The Senate on Monday discussed the Presidential Ordinance related to the Sindh and Balochistan islands and rights guaranteed to the provinces…