ISLAMABAD, August 1, 2012: In the 4th sitting of the Senate’s 84th session on Wednesday, the Chairman Senate formed a Special Committee to review alleged anomalies in the voters’ list. It was formed after a PPPP female Senator on a Point of Order raised the issue of irregularities in the electoral rolls released by the Election Commission of Pakistan.
The sitting also witnessed a walkout by the Senators of JUIF, PMLN and the government’s coalition partner ANP over the absence of Interior Minister. The walkout lasted 35 minutes.
Beginning 45 minutes late, the sitting lasted two hours and 43 minutes. Members raised seven Points of Order which consumed 15 minutes of the sitting time. However, none of them attracted the Chair’s formal ruling. Only four Senators were present when the House opened proceedings and 19 when the sitting was adjourned.
The House took up a Call Attention Notice on the incomplete rehabilitation process for the affectees of Mangla Dam Raising Project.
Six Senators discussed the motion regarding law and order in Balochistan for 60 minutes.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and 43 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1115 hours against the scheduled starting time of 1030 hours. The House proceedings started late by 45 minutes.
- The Chairman chaired the sitting. The deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House and the Leader of the Opposition were present during the sitting.
- Only the parliamentary leaders of the JUIF and PMLN attended the sitting.
- Four Senators (4% of total Membership) were present at the start, while 19 (18%) were present when the sitting was adjourned.
- Two out of four Minority Members were present during the proceedings.
- Six Members applied for leave to be absent.
- The House took a 19-minute break.
Representation and Responsiveness
- A Call Attention Notice regarding inaction of the government towards payments to and incomplete rehabilitation process for the affectees of Mangla Dam Raising Project was taken up by the House.
- Six senators spoke on the motion regarding law and order in Balochistan for 60 minutes.
- No Bills appeared on the Orders of the Day.
Order and Institutionalization
- Seven Points of Order consumed 15 minutes of the sitting time. None of the Points of Order attracted the Chair’s formal ruling.
- The JUIF, ANP and PMLN Senators staged a walkout over absence of the Interior Minister. The walkout lasted 35 minutes.
- Orders of the Day were available to legislators, observers and others.
- Information on Members’ attendance was unavailable to observers and the public.
The Daily Factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Centre for Peace and Development Initiatives (CPDI), a member organization of FAFEN
ISLAMABAD, February 17, 2020: The Senate’s 295th session was prorogued sine die on Monday due to lack of quorum, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN)…
ISLAMABAD, February 14, 2020: The Senate passed six government bills on Friday and consumed two-third of the proceedings’ time on points of public importance, observes…
ISLAMABAD, February 11, 2020: The Senate passed two government bills and discussed the report regarding problems of less developed districts in South Punjab, observes Free and…