ISLAMABAD, March 1, 2019: The Senate took up its entire agenda on Friday while continuing discussion on tension between Pakistan and India, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during the third sitting of 287th session:
- The House met for two hours and 32 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1530 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of House attended the sitting for 20 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for two hours and five minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 15 lawmakers (14%) were present at the outset and 20 (19%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of MQM, PML-F, PPPP, ANP, PkMAP, PML-N, PTI and BAP attended the sitting.
- All four minority lawmakers were present.
- On behalf of Chairperson Standing Committee on Federal Education and Professional Training, a member of the committee presented its report on a point of public importance regarding Higher Education Commission’s scholarships for the students of Balochistan and FATA.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Interior presented its report on the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Bill, 2017.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Petroleum, a member of the Committee presented its report on a starred question regarding Saindak Copper-Gold project.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Aviation presented its report on a starred question regarding free air tickets issued by Pakistan International Airlines Corporation Limited (PIACL) during the last three years.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Power, a member of the Committee presented its report on a point of public importance regarding maintenance of the solar tube wells installed in FATA.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, a member of the Committee presented its special report about the visit of the Committee to London for Kashmir Solidarity Day from February 4 to February 6, 2019.
- Convener Special Committee on Water Scarcity presented its reports on a Calling Attention Notice regarding the implementation of Water Accord 1991 and Motions under Rule 218 regarding the water shortage and the need for installation of water desalination plants in the country.
- The House granted sixty-day extension to the Standing Committee on Parliamentary Affairs for presentation of its report on a Calling Attention Notice related to voting rights for overseas Pakistanis.
- Minister of State for Revenue laid the statutory reports concerning the Biannual Monitoring of the Implementation of 7th National Finance Commission (NFC) Award for the period July-December, 2016, January-June, 2017, July-December, 2017 and the Special / Performance / Study Audit Reports of the Auditor General for the Audit Year 2017-18.
Representation and Responsiveness
- As many as eight lawmakers participated in the discussion regarding ongoing tension between Pakistan and India. They consumed an hour and 11 minutes.
- The House adopted two motions authorizing the Chairman Senate to nominate members for the Parliamentary Committee on China Pakistan Economic Corridor and Parliamentary Committee on National Security.
- The House suspended the Question Hour.
- As many as 11 lawmakers spoke on points of public importance for 28 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- As many as five lawmakers spoke on point of public importance for 13 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on March 4, 2019 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The 9th session of Sindh Assembly was prorogued on Friday after two days debate on measures to tackle COVID-19, observes…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular business on Friday to express condolence over the demise of Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal Pakistan (MMAP) lawmaker…
ISLAMABAD, June 5, 2020: The Senate took up its entire agenda on Friday and adopted a supplementary resolution to condemn violation of human rights in…