ISLAMABAD, January 4, 2021: The Senate discussed the law and order, particularly the killings of coal miners in Balochistan and a young man in Islamabad, and concluded debate on accountability related matters, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its daily Factsheet on Monday.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during third sitting of 305th session requisitioned by the opposition lawmakers:
- The Senate met for two hours and 54 minutes.
- The sitting started 1506 hours against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was also present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 23 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition attended the entire sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, JUI-F, NP, PPPP, BNP-M and PTI attended the sitting.
- Eighteen members (17% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 27(26%) at the end of sitting.
- Two minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House winded up discussion on a Motion under Rule 218 regarding alleged victimization by NAB against targeted opposition workers. Nine lawmakers including the Deputy Chairman Senate and the Leader of the Opposition spoke on it for an hour and 45 minutes while Advisor to Prime Minister on Accountability concluded debate on it.
Order and Institutionalization
- Eight lawmakers and Advisor to Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs spoke on points of order for 30 minutes which were related to the law and order particularly the killings of coal miners in Balochistan and a young man in Islamabad by police.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on January 5, 2021 (Tuesday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The National Assembly did not take up any agenda item on Monday except question hour due to lack of quorum, observes…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The Senate passed four private members' bills and referred 12 bills to the relevant committees after their introduction in the House,…
ISLAMABAD, September 27, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Punjab passed two government bills and referred six bills to relevant committees after their introduction in the…