ISLAMABAD, September 6, 2016: The Senate transacted most of its agenda during the second sitting of its 252nd session on Tuesday, reports Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the House business:
- The Senate met for three hours and 27 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- A Member of Panel of Presiding Officers chaired the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 39 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 35 minutes.
- Parliamentary leaders of PTI, MQM, PPPP, PkMAP, PML-N, PML, BNP-M, NP and PML-F attended the sitting.
- Twenty-three (22% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 16 members (15%) at the end of the sitting.
- Two minority Senators attended the sitting.
- Tabled by the Leader of the House, the House passed a resolution in connection with the Defence Day of Pakistan to pay tributes to the sacrifices of the Armed Forces.
- Introduced by State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, the House referred the Pakistan Engineering Council (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to the relevant Standing Committee for further deliberations.
- On behalf of Chairperson Functional Committee on Human Rights, a PPPP lawmaker presented report on the Protection Against Harassment of Women at Workplace (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- Chairman Committee on Delegated Legislation presented quarterly report as required under sub-rule (3) of rule 172E of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012.
- The House adopted special report of the Functional Committee on Devolution Process on “Establishment of permanent Secretariat of CCI—a Constitutional Requirement”.
- The House witnessed presentation of report on the Special Economic Zones (Amendment) Bill, 2016 while four other reports on various parliamentary interventions were presented by their relevant committees.
- The House witnessed presentation of two periodical reports on the resolutions passed by the House.
- A copy of the Money Bill, the Income Tax (Amendment) Bill, 2016 was presented before the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House passed three motions under Rule 194 (1) to extend the presentation period of three legislative proposals.
- A Calling Attention Notice (CAN) about delay in release of non-development funds to the newly established Islamabad Metro Politian Corporation was taken up. Another notice on the agenda regarding reduction of 50% in the funds of Federal Flood Commission was deferred on the request of the mover.
- The House took 14 out of 36 starred questions appearing on the agenda. In addition, the lawmakers also asked 29 supplementary questions.
- None of the Adjournment Motion on the agenda was admitted for discussion.
- State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs moved a motion of thanks to express gratitude to the President of Pakistan for his address to both the Houses assembled together on June 1, 2016.
Order and Institutionalization
- Three Points of Public Importance consumed six minutes of the proceeding.
- A PPPP lawmaker pointed out the quorum at 1721 hours following which the Chair ordered the bells to be rung for five minutes. However, it was found complete upon counting at 1726 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and rejected the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020 with majority vote, observes Free and…
ISLAMABAD, September 15, 2020: The Senate referred two FATF-related bills to the relevant committees and debated the motorway gang-rape incident, observes Free and Fair Election…