ISLAMABAD, May 2, 2019: The House of Federation transacted its entire business appeared on the Orders of the Day on Thursday including debate on functioning of Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during fifth sitting of 288th session:
- The House met for three hours and 54 minutes.
- The sitting started four minutes late against the scheduled time of 1500 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House was present for three hours and five minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour and 56 minutes.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 11 lawmakers (10%) were present at the outset and19 (18%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, PML-N, PTI, PkMAP and ANP attended the sitting.
- Three out of four minority lawmakers were present.
- Chairperson Standing Committee on Postal Services presented report of the Committee on the Pakistan Courier and Logistics Regulatory Authority Bill, 2018.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Law and Justice presented report of the Committee on the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2018 (Amendment of Article 24).
Representation and Responsiveness
- The Minister for Aviation responded to a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) regarding non-availability of public transport facility to the New Islamabad International Airport.
- The Minister of State for Revenue responded to another CAN about talks with IMF by the Government without taking the Parliament into confidence.
- The House took up nine out of 30 Starred Questions and two of them were referred to the relevant committees. The lawmakers also asked 24 supplementary questions.
- The House debated an adjournment motion regarding lack of modernization and internal accountability system in FIA and non-finalization of investigations on important cases. Four lawmakers spoke on this motion for 19 minutes while the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs concluded debate on it.
- Sixteen lawmakers spoke on matters of public importance for an hour and 30 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on May 3, 2019 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, January 17, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and continued debate on the annual report of the National Commission on…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, January 15, 2020: The National Assembly passed the University of Islamabad Bill, 2019 and was prorogued on Wednesday after transacting half of…
ISLAMABAD, January 14, 2020: The exchange of hot words between the treasury and the opposition benches ultimately led to the early adjournment of National Assembly…