ISLAMABAD, March 9, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Tuesday and adopted a resolution to pay tribute to Pakistani women in connection with the International Women’s Day, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the first sitting of 308th session:
- The Senate met for an hour and six minutes.
- The sitting started at 1713 hours against the scheduled time of 1600 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the proceedings for 47 minutes while the remaining sitting was chaired by a member of panel of chairpersons.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the entire sitting.
- The Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- The Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- As many as 25 lawmakers (24%) were present at the outset and 23 (22%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PPPP, MQMP and BNP-M attended the sitting.
- Two out of four minority lawmakers attended the sitting.
- Moved by a PTI lawmaker, the House adopted a supplementary resolution to pay tribute to Pakistani women on International Women’s Day. Four lawmakers spoke on it for 24 minutes.
- Chairperson Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges presented report of the Committee on a privilege motion moved by a Senator against an Assistant Commissioner Islamabad who stopped him from entering into the premises of Islamabad High Court, Islamabad.
- Chairman Functional Committee on Human Rights presented report of the Committee on the Zainab Alert, Response and Recovery (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Religious Affairs and Inter-Faith Harmony presented reports of the Committee on the Protection of the Rights of Religious Minorities Bill, 2020; the Muslim Family Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020 and the Guardians and Wards (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs, a member of the Committee presented reports on the Pakistan Single Window Bill, 2021; the Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2020; the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (Substitution of Article 84) and the Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Interior presented reports of the Committee on the Criminal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020 (Substitution of sections 376 and 377 of PPC and Substitution of Sections 265-M, 381 and amendment of section 411-A, and schedule II of Cr.P.C); the Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment) Bill, 2020; the Criminal Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020 (Insertion of new Section 297A) and the Fatal Accidents (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat presented reports of the Committee on the Regulation of Generation, Transmission and Distribution of Electric Power (Amendment) Bill, 2019; the Federal Public Service Commission (Amendment) Bill, 2020; the Civil Servants (Amendment) Bill, 2021 and the Service Tribunals (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- On behalf of Chairperson Standing Committee on Federal Education, Professional Training, National History and Literary Heritage, a member of the Committee presented reports of the Committee on the Islamabad Educational Examinations (Prevention of Unfair Means) Bill, 2021 and the Islamabad Women University Bill, 2021.
- Chairperson Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination presented report of the Committee on the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Bill, 2020.
- A member of Parliamentary Committee to Protect Minorities from Forced Conversions presented final report of the Committee.
- On behalf of Chairperson Standing Committee on Maritime Affairs, a member of the Committee presented report of the Committee on the budgetary allocation and its utilization by the Ministry of Maritime Affairs and its attached departments.
- Convener Senate Special Committee on Child Protection presented report of the Special Committee.
- Convener Special Committee on China-Pak Economic Corridor (CPEC) presented second interim report (July, 2019-December, 2020) and final report (July, 2018-February, 2021) of the Committee. Two lawmakers including Convener Committee spoke on it for five minutes.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented 1st Biannual Monitoring Report on the Implementation of NFC Award (July-December, 2019).
- Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs presented a copy of the Money Bill, the Income Tax (Amendment) Bill, 2021. The Chairman asked the relevant committee to submit report on it within 10 working days.
Order and Institutionalization
- Two lawmakers spoke on points for order for three minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on March 10, 2021 (Wednesday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, May 17, 2021: The National Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on Monday condemning Israeli atrocities against the people of Palestine, says Free and Fair…
Calls for a broader public debate and political discourse on the meaningful electoral reforms to enhance representation and inclusivity ISLAMABAD, May 11, 2021: The Free…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, May 7, 2021: The Provincial Assembly of Sindh passed two government bills and concluded pre-budget discussion, observes Free and Fair Election Network…