ISLAMABAD, September 16, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Wednesday and rejected the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020 with majority vote, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the proceedings during the second sitting of 303rd session:
- The Senate met for two hours and 15 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire proceedings.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 57 minutes.
- The Opposition Leader was present for an hour and three minutes.
- As many as 19 lawmakers (18%) were present at the outset and 66 (64%) at the adjournment of sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of PML-N, PkMAP, PTI, JI, JUI-F, PPPP and BNP-M attended the sitting.
- Three minority lawmakers were present.
- Adviser to the Prime Minister on Parliamentary Affairs moved the FATF-related bill, the Cooperative Societies (Amendment) Bill, 2020 which was passed by House as reported by Standing Committee.
- The House rejected a private member’s bill – the Anti-Terrorism (3rd Amendment) Bill, 2020 – with majority vote. Thirty-four lawmakers (34) voted in favor of the bill while 31 opposed it.
- The House passed six motions under Rule 194 (1) granting 30-day extension to Standing Committees on Religious Affairs and Inter-Faith Harmony, Power and Information Technology and Telecommunication for presentation of reports on matters referred to them.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Information and Broadcasting presented four reports of the Committee in the House. Two reports were related to legislative proposals including the Press Council of Pakistan (Amendment) Bill, 2020 and the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2020 while one was regarding starred question seeking educational and others details of Chairman and Managing Director of PTVC and another on a Point of Public Importance about closure of PTV Bolan Channel.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Power presented reports of the Committee on various problems being faced by the renewable energy projects and alleged sale of gas turbine power station (GENCO-I), Kotri, Sindh.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Interior presented reports of the Committee on the Cooperative Societies (Amendment) Bill, 2020 and the Anti-Terrorism (Third Amendment) Bill, 2020.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up seven out of 13 starred questions while lawmakers also asked 21 supplementary questions.
- The House passed a motion under Rule 196 (1) of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012 and adopted report of Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges regarding a Privilege Motion against the Secretary Ministry of Communications.
- Five lawmakers spoke on points of public importance for 32 minutes.
Order and Institutionalization
- The House was adjourned to meet again on September 18, 2020 (Friday) at 1030 hours.
- Orders of the Day was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- Attendance of lawmakers was available to the media and observers.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) discussed state of the education in the Province and witnessed introduction of a…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 18, 2020: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and consumed 43 percent of the proceedings’ time in debate on matters…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, September 17, 2020: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan adopted three resolutions and debated an adjournment motion regarding Governor’s disinterest in the Assembly business,…