ISLAMABAD, June 13, 2016: The Senate on Monday transacted its entire agenda appearing on ‘Order of the Day’ during 8th sitting of its 249th session, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are some key observations of the parliamentary business:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for four hours and 36 minutes.
- The sitting started at 1134 hours against the scheduled time of 1130 hours.
- The House had a prayer break for 22 minutes.
- The Chairman chaired the entire sitting while the Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for 64 minutes while the Leader of the Opposition was not present.
- Finance Minister did not attend the sitting.
- Parliamentary leaders of PPPP, BNP-M, PkMAP, PML-N, MQM, PML-F and PML attended the sitting.
- Nine members (8% of the total membership – 104) were present at the outset and 17 members (16%) at the end of the sitting.
- One minority Senator attended the sitting.
- The House witnessed presentation of 2nd Interim Report on China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and another interim report about payment of salaries to members of Election Commission of Pakistan for last five years without an Act of Parliament.
- The Budget of the Senate of Pakistan for the FY 2016-17 and the expenditures incurred during the Financial Years 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 was laid before the House.
Representation and Responsiveness
- Ten Senators expressed their views on a commenced motion to make recommendations to National Assembly on the Finance Bill, 2016.They spoke on it for 136 minutes.
- The House discussed an Adjournment Motion (AM) about agreement of India, Iran and Afghanistan for development of Chah Bahar Port and its negative impact on Pakistan. Fourteen lawmakers, Chairman Senate and Advisor to Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs debated it for 80 minutes.
- The House took up a Calling Attention Notice (CAN) which was regarding delay in re-organization and fresh raisin of civil armed forces to enhance their capacity in order to meet border management challenges and security threats both during war and peace. It was responded to by State Minister for Interior.
- Another CAN about decrease in the exports of textile and clothing by 3.5% during the first ten months of current fiscal year was deferred on the request of Minister for Commerce.
Order and Institutionalization
- One Point of Public Importance consumed three minutes of the proceeding.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, September 24, 2021: The Senate transacted its entire agenda on Friday and discussed presidential address to the Parliament, says Free and Fair Election Network…
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, July 16, 2021: The Senate passed three government bills on Friday which were considered in the House as supplementary business amid protest…
ISLAMABAD, July 14, 2021: The Senate took up 83 percent of its agenda on Wednesday and consumed 42 percent of the proceedings in points of…