ISLAMABAD, March 9, 2016: The Senate transacted its entire business during 8th sitting of 126th session on Wednesday, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN).
Some key observations are as follows:
Members’ Participation in House Proceedings
- The Senate met for two hours and 50 minutes.
- The sitting started one minute late against the scheduled time of 1000 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- Prime Minister did not attend the sitting.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and 30 minutes.
- The Opposition Leader was not present.
- Fourteen (13%) senators were present at the start and 26 (25%) at the time of adjournment.
- Parliamentary leaders of PkMAP, MQM, ANP, PPPP, PML-N and NP were present.
- One minority member was present.
- Introduced by the State Minister for National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination, the House passed the Pakistan Health Research Council Bill, 2015.
- The House witnessed presentation of reports by Senate Committees about the number of aircrafts obtained on lease by PIA, heavy load shedding of electricity in various areas of Mansehra Division, Balochistan and other parts of the country and early shutting down of commercial centers/shops.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up two Calling Attention Notices (CANs). The first CAN was about the poor performance of Pakistani Cricket Team in Asia Cup, 2016 while other was regarding a joint advertisement published by Government on February 10, 2016 in all national newspapers showing all terrorists having Pathans’ peculiar cap or turban with beard.
- Twelve out of 18 starred questions appearing on the agenda were answered by the relevant departments while the Senators also raised 31 supplementary questions.
- Two motions under Rule 194 (1) were passed which were about seeking extension in presentation period of reports on the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2016 [omission of Article 182] and involvement of some Foreign Embassies in Islamabad in tapping of phone calls of important personalities of the country.
- A motion under Rule 196 (1) to consider and adopt the report of the Standing Committee on Textile Industry about monitoring the implementation of Gas Infrastructure Development Cess Bill, 2015 was discussed for 18 minutes in the House. The Chair decided to have further consideration on this motion in the next sitting.
- The House witnessed presentation of two periodical reports by the ministers under Rule 265A on the recommendations of the standing committees.
Order and Institutionalization
- Entire Opposition along with JUI-F and FATA lawmakers staged walkout for three minutes against advertisement published in national newspapers showing all terrorists having Pathans’ peculiar cap or turban with beard.
- Six Matters of Public Importance were discussed for ten minutes.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceeding conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Session prorogued ISLAMABAD, November 19, 2021: The Senate passed four government bills on Friday amid opposition’s protest, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in the…
ISLAMABAD, November 16, 2021: The Senate transacted 93 percent agenda on Tuesday and was adjourned amid lack of quorum and opposition’s walkout from the proceedings, observes…
ISLAMABAD, November 15, 2021: The Senate adopted four resolutions and referred seven private members’ bills to the relevant committees for consideration, observes Free and Fair Election…