ISLAMABAD, January 17, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and continued debate on the annual report of the National Commission on the Status of Women (NCSW) for the year 2017, says Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during tenth sitting of the 295th session:
- The House met for two hours and 20 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Deputy Chairman presided over the sitting for 30 minutes while rest of the sitting was chaired by a member of Panel of Presiding Officers.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for an hour and 52 minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour 33 minutes.
- As many as 15 lawmakers (14%) were present at the outset and 19 (18%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BNP-M, PML-N, PTI, PML-F, JI, PkMAP and PPPP attended the sitting.
- As many as two out of four minority lawmakers were present.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Interior presented report of the Committee on the National Counter Terrorism Authority (Amendment) Bill, 2019.
- Chairman Standing Committee on Law and Justice presented report of the Committee on the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (Amendment of Article 260).
- On behalf of Chairperson Committee on Rules of Procedure and Privileges, a member of the Committee presented report on the amendments in Rules 130, 135, 143, 145, 162A, 167, 184, 196 and insertion of new Rule 280 in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Senate, 2012.
- The House passed three separate motions granting extension of 60 days to Standing Committees on Law and Justice and Human Rights for presentation of their reports.
- Minister for Parliamentary Affairs presented the First Quarterly Report for the year 2019-2020 of the Board of Directors of the State Bank of Pakistan on the state of Pakistan’s Economy.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up six out of 35 starred questions while lawmakers asked 21 supplementary questions as well. More than three supplementary questions were asked on three starred questions in violation of Rule 57 of Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in Senate, 2012.
- As many as six lawmakers participated in debate on the annual report of the NCSW for the year 2017. The debate continued for 48 minutes
- A motion of thanks to express gratitude to the President for his address to both the Houses assembled together on September 12, 2019 was not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- Four lawmakers including the Leader of the House spoke on points of order for 13 minutes.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on January 20, 2020 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
ISLAMABAD, November 30, 2021: The National Council of Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) elected its new chairperson Ms. Mossarat Qadeem on November 29, 2021…
Islamabad, November 24, 2021: The Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) has categorically rejected the barrage of allegations, slander and insinuations being levelled by its…
ISLAMABAD, November 24, 2021: The Sindh Assembly left its entire agenda unaddressed except question hour on Wednesday, observes Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN) in…