ISLAMABAD, January 10, 2020: The Senate transacted most of its agenda on Friday and passed the Federal Government Employees Housing Authority Bill 2019, observes Free and Fair Election Network in its Daily Factsheet.
Following are key observations of the House proceedings during seventh sitting of the 295th session:
- The House met for two hours and 14 minutes.
- The sitting started at the scheduled time of 1030 hours.
- The Chairman presided over the entire sitting.
- The Deputy Chairman was not present.
- The Leader of the House attended the sitting for two hours and three minutes.
- The Leader of the Opposition was present for an hour 53 minutes.
- As many as 14 lawmakers (13%) were present at the outset and 23 (22%) at the adjournment of the sitting.
- The parliamentary leaders of BNP-M, PML-N, PTI, PPPP, PkMAP, MQM, BAP and PML-F attended the sitting.
- As many as two out of four minority lawmakers were present.
- Table by the Minister for Housing and Works, the House passed the Federal Government Employees Housing Authority Bill, 2019 as reported by the relevant Standing Committee.
- The Minister for Parliamentary Affairs introduced the Mutual Legal Assistance (Criminal Matters) Bill, 2020 which was referred to the Standing Committee on Interior.
- On behalf of Chairman Standing Committee on Cabinet Secretariat, a member of the Committee presented report on a motion under Rule 218 regarding the syllabus prescribed for the Central Superior Services (CSS) Examination in the country at present
- Another report of Standing Committee on National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination was also presented in the House on a point of public importance regarding pathetic conditions of public hospitals and high charges of private hospitals and laboratories. The report was presented by a member of the Committee on the behalf of its Chairperson.
Representation and Responsiveness
- The House took up 13 out of 53 starred questions while the lawmakers asked 21 supplementary questions as well.
- The Minister for Energy responded to a Calling Attention Notice regarding shortage of gas in winter season.
- A motion of thanks expressing gratitude to the President for his address to Parliament was not taken up.
Order and Institutionalization
- A BAP lawmaker walked out of the proceedings for six minutes against non-supply of natural gas to the people in those areas of Balochistan where its reservoirs are situated. Later, all lawmakers belonging to Balochistan also protested for five minutes on the same issue before the dais of the Chair.
- The House was adjourned to meet again on January 13, 2020 (Monday) at 1500 hours.
- ‘Orders of the Day’ was available to the legislators, observers and public.
- The attendance of lawmakers is available on the website.
This daily factsheet is based on direct observation of the Senate proceedings conducted by Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN). Errors and omissions are excepted
Seven of Worst-Hit Countries have their Parliaments in Session to handle Pandemic ISLAMABAD, March 24, 2020: The Parliament and the provincial assemblies should take center…
77% Lawmakers Remain Inactive during Session ISLAMABAD, March 14, 2020: The Punjab Assembly left 68 percent of its scheduled business unaddressed during its 20th session…
Session Prorogued ISLAMABAD, March 13, 2020: The National Assembly did not take up its regular agenda on Friday and discussed the government strategy to avoid…